If you were faced with this, would you run alone?

If you were faced with this, would you run alone?

Friday, June 17, 2011

Joplin Tornado vs Hurricane Ivan

The reaction of people is affected by how well they prepare, but it is also effected if they underestimate the storm. Which is what two people did with two entirely different storms. When discussing how the city of Joplin felt about tornado's, a lifelong resident stated "we have them all the time." To a man about to experience Hurricane Ivan, "the hurricanes I had been involved with before really didn't do that much damage, and I thought that Ivan would be the same." Two people experiencing two entirely different natural disasters, weren't expecting the outcome of either. "The first thing I saw was my high school, because we live right near the school, It was destroyed. I was in shock. I couldn't talk. Then I saw my house," says a resident of Joplin. She was a wreck, and so was her home and many others. A man in Hurricane Ivan describes the after effects.  "There were many houses and businesses that were completely gone. Less than a mile farther south, houses were washed off their foundations and flooded up to their roof lines." He now has much more respect for hurricanes and is not underestimating  another one anytime soon. Same goes for the resident in Joplin, they learned not to underestimate a storm, for what you are not prepared to handle, makes handling that much worse.

1 comment:

  1. When I first saw this picture, I’m speechless. It’s a total wreck! I agree with them; it’s about time for all of us not to underestimate an upcoming hurricane. It’s not about being a pessimist; it’s just better to expect the worst and be prepared for everything that might happen. Building a stronger home might be one solution, but I’m not sure about the rest.

    Allyson Sunde

    ReplyDelete